Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Lucky number thirteen

I've always had a pretty set rule that I don't want to shoot the same person more than a couple times. Keep things dynamic and not have the same face over and over and over again. So I try to constantly find (and quite often cold-call) all kinds of people to model for me. It keeps things interesting on my part as well. Usually two or maybe three times at most is all I'll do. Except for this one girl...

I met Shanon completely by accident. As we started talking, it was a natural connection. She modeled, I shot, we knew we had to get together someday and play. Plans were made, and we had our first shoot, just a little over four years ago. (even though it seems much longer than that) Since that amazing May evening, it turns out we have shot thirteen times. Last night being the most recent.

It was kind of fitting to draw summer to a close with this. This year has been a weird one for me, lots of changes and some big decisions. Really pretty much the last four years have been I guess. It doesn't seem to matter what is going on in our own lives, when Shanon and I get together time slips by and we make awesomeness. In all thirteen shoots there have been images that I consider some of my very favorites. Some have won me awards and they're always popular when I post them. Ideas tend to flow between us, our thought processes are so similar. As we plan, just like with anyone, the original idea gets turned into a common one. With some people, this takes a lot of negotiation and concession. But with Shanon, it seems like we end up in the same head. That's a really important thing for me. I know what I see in my head and I hate to compromise too much. Once I deviate far from my original vision it becomes less mine (if that makes any sense.) With this girl though, we share a brain.

(Those of you that know my work may notice that I didn't necessarily use the most popular images from each shoot. Some of these have never been made public before now.) More shoots are already being planned.

Enough of that, you get it. Here's one from everything we have done, including last night. Enjoy!!!


Our very first shoot, May of 2011 out at Wildcat creek park.

Shot in the super not-so-secret-anymore alley in downtown Manhattan.

This was a concept shoot that I don't think we ever published any of.

One of the infamous group shots from the days of The Factory. I miss these.

The duct tape shoot. So much cold, but so much fun.

This was from another group shoot of The Factory.

Our play day on the streets of Junction City.

What better way to trash a wedding dress, go out to Milford lake!

This is still one of my all-time favorites. That truck and those legs.

Our homage to Marilyn.

Everyone calls this the mermaid shoot. I see it now but at the time it was just fun with rose petals.

The marionette. We initially started to conceive this set way back at the duct
tape shoot. Many attempts and different setups planned, it ended up taking a
good three years to finally get it.  

And then there's this. I think last night will be tough to top. Nah, not for us. Until next time...




No comments:

Post a Comment